Friday, September 16, 2011

Just Some Girl...

Any watchers of the NBC Network (Yes, I know we are few and far between) have noticed within the last 6 months a reoccurring theme. The name Whitney has been emblazoned within our skulls as the commercials have been running near non-stop in that time frame. Little by little details have been revealed about this new mystery girl with the pretty green eyes. The show is going to run in the same vein as other classic NBC sitcoms. A lighthearted comedy about a couple that has been in a long relationship and is becoming pressured by there friends to get married, but of course, they're in no rush. Whitney shares namesake with her actor Whitney Cummings of stand-up comedy fame. Cummings brings a sarcastic yet very honest charm to her role, and is complemented by her Co-Star Chris D'Elia who plays Whitney's live-in boyfriend Alex. In the show previews these two showcase what seems to be a strong dynamic. Two actors that actually like each other!? Oh My!

The amount of marketing that has gone into this project has been enormous, honestly I haven't been so bombarded since the creation of SpongeBob SquarePants. And that may be with good reason. It seems like NBC wants to tote this girl as the new-age cool female (sound familiar FOX?) and with such a likeable character and a time-slot after it's top-rated comedy show, it may be possible. So here's the question, will we fall in love with Whitney, or will she turn out to be just some girl? We find out Thursday Sept. 22 @9:30 on NBC.

6 comments:

  1. Whitney Cummings is a perfect fit for this role. She is going to make the show, but I couldn't be more impressed with the cast surrounding her. They all fit each others' personalities really well.

    I'm excited to see where this show goes, and yes, I will fall in love with this new girl. It's about time Whitney Cummings got her own show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually don't find anything NBC does other than NFL on Sunday interesting. I'm also hard to please when it comes to sitcoms that I will watch. This show has me interested though from what I've seen from the previews. I found the humor really well done especially from the women point of view. I don't know much about Whitney Cummings but I will learn now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kudos to ms. cummings using a good mix of well written comedy and a side helping of sexy...are we gonna see a different "sexy" outfit each week? it makes for a decent sight gag and she's got the legs to pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious to see how this show stands the test of time, even a short amount of time. Whitney has the elements, content, and actors to be a hit show. Delivery is above par so as long as the writing follows suit, Whitney should take off in ratings when more people discover it, despite plummeting a bit this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just watched the second episode of this show (have yet to see the pilot) and was surprised at how funny it is. Despite my initial hesitation, I think this show will maintain solid ratings through the season. NBC has always had success with comedies, and I don't think this will be an exception.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the pilot. I have to admit that the laugh track (I know, it's a live audience but they seem a bit "enhanced") in this and 2 Broke Girls threw me. It didn't take long for me to adjust to The Office/Modern Family single-camera format. Speaking of 2 Broke Girls, kudos to Cummings for creative/development role on that show as well as this one. Two shows, two networks. Have to love a strong female in H'wood.

    ReplyDelete